Friday, September 11, 2009

Act One - continued (The Bathroom)

[This post dates from August 29, 2007]

Soon and very soon ... I will have a complete bathroom! Yesterday I finally ordered the tiles to complete the transformation of my main bath. I can't say as I'm terribly disappointed that we had to rip out the floor and walls, because the final result is going to be that much more fabulous. :) I had always determined I wanted a blue and white color scheme (rich, cobalt or sapphire blue, as opposed to the sickening "baby" blue that was in there), though I had thought I might do a more "modern" design - I had pictured a mostly white tile wall with the blue glass tiles "scattered" throughout the field in a graduated random design... but neither my dad nor the lady at the tile store seemed to be able to "picture" what I meant by that... so we explored other options.

We finally settled on a floor design called "Chloe" that employs very small, rectangular white tiles arranged in a small square around a center colored square (so that it sort of looks like a square "flower"). These colored squares will be my "sapphire" blue - and they even have a little "glitter" in them so they'll sparkle really nicely. That decorative pattern will cover the whole floor, and a border of the same pattern will circle the room at about 4ft (topped with a white "curved" tile border), and in the tub area, the white "field" tiles will encase the whole area to the ceiling, with a recess "picture frame" set in the middle of the main tub wall. This recess will have a backing of the decorative floor tiles and "chair molding" to make it look like a piece of art - but because it's recessed, it will also have a "ledge" on which to set a soap dish & shampoo, etc. We also added a towel bar to the far wall, completing the tub enclosure.

It's such a relief to finally have the tiles ordered, so as soon as they come in we can start finishing that project. They weren't cheap - but the lady at the tile store gave us a 20% "contractor's" discount 'cause we are doing the work ourselves. I thought that was very kind.

Eventually, I'll post some pictures of the house (in various stages of completion) on the site, so you guys can get an idea of what I've been going on about...

Until next time... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment