Monday, October 26, 2009

Plans for the week

Toward the end of the year, I often find myself with a few extra vacation days to spend as I choose.  I try to hold onto a few, in case something unexpected comes up (sickness - impromptu decision to travel - etc.) - especially if I haven't been able to take a real "vacation" at any point earlier in the year.

So last week and this week I've decided to take Fridays off for a little R&R.

Last week, I really did just that - after running some errands and taking my car to the shop, I came home around noon and took a nap for about 3 hours... it was nice.  :)  I rested quite a bit on Saturday, too - finished most of a book I'd been working on, and then traveled to Danville in the evening to meet Colin Hanna & his girlfriend for Chinese and a college performance of Purcell's "Dido and Aeneas."  One of Colin's friends played the role of Aeneas.  He and the girl who played Dido's handmaiden, Belinda, were easily the best singers of the cast (Dido had a pleasant voice, though oft-out of pitch).  There was also a kid in the chorus who looked as if he was having ENTIRELY too much fun with his role (the giant smile plastered across his face for each of the dance sequences really made me laugh).  :-D

This week, however, I feel as if I really need to accomplish something on the house.  There are many, many projects yet to do (as outlined in my last post), and so I've resolved to focus on a couple of them.

So, without further ado, here is what I hope to accomplish this week:

Tomorrow evening, Nick and I are going to go grocery shopping.  Among other things, I would like to see if I can find whole chickens on sale, as I would like to try my hand at roasting one for a) dinner Thursday evening, b) meals later in the week and c) chicken stock.  I already have a bunch of celery and carrots that need using (and they're starting to get old, so chicken stock would be a perfect usage).  After shopping (and securing the perishables home in the fridge), we plan to finally see "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," which has been out forever and which I STILL have yet to go see.  It's playing at Village 8 for "$2 Tuesdays."  Woohoo! 

Thursday I should be able to spend some time roasting the chicken.  I'll probably use this recipe (although I'll use the minced garlic I've already prepared instead of whole cloves - I'm sure it won't be a problem.  They used to be whole cloves... ;)).  Mmmmmm.

Friday I need to get a couple other things fixed on my car - IF I can get the part I need (gonna stop tomorrow after work/before shopping to see if I can get it) - and after that (or in place of, if I can't) I plan to set to fixing/mudding the cracks in the dining room.  If that goes well/quickly, I will mix some paint/primer and knock out one of the walls in the living room (gonna start with the wall that adjoins the office).  I was already thinking it, but apparently dad suggested I go ahead and get that painted so we can set up my hutch/china cabinet and get it (and a bunch of other stuff) out of the middle of the living room floor.  As much as I *hate* being told what to do (and what to do next)... I guess I can be mollified with the notion that "I was already planning to do that."

So... if all that goes well Friday, on Saturday I ought to be able to get primer on the dining room wall(s) (provided the cracks don't need another coat of mud after sanding), and a coat of paint on the living room wall.

We're also doing a "Trunk and Treat" event for the church kiddos Friday night (my only real opportunity to get dressed up this year - I think I'm gonna pull out my belly dancing/gypsy costume),
and Saturday evening I'm going to see the musical "Chicago" with my friend Johanna.

So... a full, but fun week ahead.  I look forward to it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment