Monday, October 19, 2009

Act Three - Interior Projects - Kitchen

[Post dates from May 27, 2009]

It's not done yet. But it's coming along rather nicely. Over Memorial Day weekend we started laying the black marble tiles for the countertop, and cut some of the slate for the backsplash. We're using the "leftover bits" of slate from the floors for a few reasons: 1) it will tie the room together better to use the same material in various parts of the room 2) we have quite a bit of tile left over, and that stuff's not cheap and 3) er, that stuff's not cheap - so if I used something else I'd have to spend more money. Dad volunteered to pay for the materials so he wouldn't have to cut the miscellaneous slate, but I said no. Mom and Nick helped me cut the slate so dad wouldn't have to mess with it, so that's all taken care of. It actually went fairly quickly.


Anyway - we did manage to get the marble and the first row of slate mortared in this weekend, which was way more progress than I really expected. Yay. :) Dad and I cut the oak for the countertop border last night, so we'll work on installing that later this week, and maybe get the countertop (on the sink side of the room, anyway) grouted this weekend.

And THEN I'll be able to hook up the kitchen sink, and the dishwasher, and the garbage disposal! No more washing dishes in the bathroom sink/bathtub! I don't know what I'll do with myself I'll be so happy. You would not believe how annoying it is to wash dishes in the bathroom sink/bathtub for a year and a half. It's just not fun. Especially not when you keep trying to cook and create lots of dirty bowls, pots, pans, and etc.

The remainder of the backsplash and the small counters on the stove side will probably be done by the end of June. Since I'm going out of town for 2 weeks, and parents are going out of town the following week, it may be a bit longer - but as long as the sink et al is hooked up before I leave, I'll be one happy girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment