Monday, October 5, 2009

Act Two - In the House! - Bedroom & Elvis!

[Post dates from July 11, 2008]

Well, we're still working on my bedroom floor.  Every time I think it's nearly ready for stain, someone thinks the whole floor still needs another "once-over"... and since that hasn't happened yet (none of us has any *tremendous* desire to crawl around on the floor with a sanding device), I can't start staining it yet.

But Nick (the smart one) realized that if we waited to apply the same treatment to his floor, he'd never get his stuff moved, so he bought laminate a few weeks ago and his room is now nearly finished.  He and dad finished the floor molding last weekend, and after a bit of touch up, I believe he's nearly ready to begin moving.


Mom and I took a short trip to Montreat, NC, earlier this week to visit my older brother, Mark, and his wife, Michelle, while Mark is there in his capacity as Small Group Leader for this week and next. 

Nick didn't have more vacation and dad was busy at work, so it was just "us girls."  Mark was also working most of the time, so we kidnapped Michelle and shopped for 2 days straight.  We bought something in nearly every store we entered.  It was CRAZY, but fun!  I miss Montreat.



Speaking of Montreat always makes me think about "the old youth group" at church, and coincidentally, as many of the "old group" as possible got together last night to dine at El Nopal (Mexican) for some unknown "surprise."  Only a few people really knew why we were getting together.  Nick and I arrived early and settled down at a table with Troy & Stephanie (who were celebrating their 9th anniversary).  I was vaguely aware that there was an Elvis impersonator setting up on the far side of the room, but didn't really pay the musicians much heed until Elvis walked by... then my head snapped back and I said to Stephanie, "Oh my gosh... That's Todd!" 

None of us had seen Todd for many years - not since the last time he was at church for Christmas Eve service a number of years ago.  I recall that he had married a woman named Natalie by that time, so it had to have been less than 11 years (he remarked during his show that they'd been married that long)... but it's been awhile.  It seemed to take him slightly longer to recognize me... but he did, and was wonderfully surprised to see us all (as we were to see him!).  All in all, it was a great evening (he passed out scarves and leis to a number of swooning females, myself included ;)), and autographed CDs and such - apparently he's quite popular, having performed in Japan, Vegas, NYC, and all around, and is planning a 3-week tour in FL in a few weeks.  I got some great pictures, and a few video clips of his performance, as well as that of his son, Dylan (he has 3 kids!), performing a few songs.  He really does sound quite like Elvis.  Long live the King!

Lots of fun.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment