OK, so it wasn't done by June. Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes, you know? So the new goal was to have the kitchen fully functional by my birthday. In order to accomplish this feat, I devised the 3-step Labor Day plan. Steps in the plan are as follows: I had to a) finish mortaring the small section of backsplash by the stairs because we'd left a tiny piece of marble out of the counter when setting the countertop; b) grout the counters; and c) set the sink and hook up the plumbing for the dishwasher, garbage disposal, and SINK!
I'm pleased to report that, as of 9/7/09, all of the above now functions properly. There were some plumbing issues on Monday and I feared we wouldn't get everything hooked up, but dad hand-made some brackets for the sink and figured out how to make everything work, and we had running water by Monday evening. Yippee!
Witness the "green light" that indicates dishwasher functionality...
In the days since, I've tried to polish and seal the marble & grout with mixed results... I've ordered some special "marble-sensitive" solutions and a nicer hand-held buffer/polisher, so I hope to have better success soon. In the meantime, I've been cooking up a storm and washing dishes every couple of days. It's soooooo awesome to be able to just go straight to the sink with a dirty pot instead of trudging halfway through the house to the tiny bathroom sink. And Nick is so cute - "Look at me!" [as he rinses his plate and then turns to put the plate in the dishwasher] We're both pretty excited.
I've been told I need to get out more, if having a kitchen sink brings such joyous elation... but not having one for over 2 years... I don't care, call me crazy. It's a happy, happy thing!!!




No comments:
Post a Comment