Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Day weekend

I was very prepared this year.  I made lists of the tasks I wanted to accomplish, in order of preference, identified what items were needed to accomplish each task, went over the list with Nick, and then sat down with mom and dad to make sure we were all on the same page.

Then the Memorial Day weekend actually came, and the plan was completely ignored. 

On Saturday, right as we were about to start working in the kitchen, Nick was called in to work to fix some problem - and was gone for the next several hours.  Mom announced that she got very little sleep the night before, and was not feeling well.  Dad had gotten a new engine in the mail earlier in the week, and it'd arrived in more pieces than he expected, so he wanted to complete the repairs.

So... I planted a bunch of plants... organized a few things in the kitchen... and read my book and took a nap.  After Nick got home, we pretty much just relaxed the rest of the afternoon, and then watched "Avatar" in the evening. 

Sunday, we were at church all morning, and then went out to lunch with the Cuencas in the afternoon.  Enjoyed some ceviche (though I still prefer the ceviche @ Havana Rumba) and conversation... then went back home to change.

After an hour or so, the parents did come over... but because the weather was nice (it had threatened to rain all weekend), they immediately set to work rototilling the back yard.  This was on the list - one of the items Nick wanted to accomplish over the weekend - but I felt a little useless.  So I organized some more stuff, and eventually just got ready for my belly dancing class in the evening.

Monday, they finished tilling and seeding the yard, and then we did put the cabinet back up under the fridge (after searching for appropriate screws for an hour or so).  That was my "main priority" to finish.  It went pretty quickly, all things considered, since dad had already trimmed the cabinet.  I question why it was never put back up in the first place, now, since I'd been *told* more work was required... but then it went right up... Sooo... ???

After that, Nick and dad proceeded to hook up the duct work under the house (also on the list of what Nick wanted to accomplish).  That wound up requiring 3 trips to Lowe's (well, I guess the first was technically for the yard - more grass seed).  Before the 2nd trip, though, dad stated that they "either needed several 90` elbows, or a flexible tube" - and I suggested they just get the flexible tubing... but they said they didn't need me @ Lowe's, so I went with mom to the grocery.  They came back with several 90` elbows... one of which was broken.  They managed to catch mom and I while we were out, so we could pick up a new one for them... and as soon as I gave it to dad... he broke that one, too.  Thus the 3rd (or 4th, depending on how you look at it) trip to Lowe's... to return the 2 broken elbows and get another new one...

Eventually, I think they finished, because cold air started coming into the kitchen from the duct, so ... yay.  :)

We had brats and guacamole at mom and dad's for dinner and watched a Hallmark movie about a teacher with Tourette's Syndrome.  Good movie, and delicious dinner. 

Anyway... it was a good weekend, and much good work was accomplished, even if it didn't all go according to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment