Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

Having no "significant other," currently, I decided to spend this holiday with the loved ones I *do* have around me - my family.  So I cooked and grilled and baked and cleaned and set a pretty table, and served up delicious steaks with bleu cheese butter to my wonderful parents and my little brother.  My daddy brought me flowers.  :)

The first course consisted of homemade cream of asparagus soup, followed by a spinach and mushroom salad.

Then we had the entree - the aforementioned beautiful strip steaks - with a side of baked sweet potatoes (with cinnamon sugar and butter) and sauteed mushrooms (sauteed in bacon fat!).

Dinner was followed by desserts for 2 (though Nick wasn't so sure he wanted to share with his sister!) - Chocolate Heart of Darkness Cakes baked in my new heart-shaped springform pans.  These yummy cakes boast a molten chocolate center, courtesy Christmas truffles gifted to me by Aunt Constance (I normally hand-make the truffles for these cakes, but this way was much less messy).

We also enjoyed a bottle of Italian red wine, which was a hostess gift from my friend Amy (neé Kruetzman) a couple months ago, and Dark Chocolate Truffle coffee with dessert (with whipped cream and a shot of chocolate créme liquor). 

Dad even remarked to mom (when he didn't know I could hear him from the kitchen) that "your daughter outdid you this time!"

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, but is "Heart of Darkness" really appropriate for Valentine's Day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my personal Valentine's Day, it is quite appropriate. :)

    ReplyDelete