Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Let's get one thing out of the way...


First and foremost, before anyone asks, my nom-de-plume... Way back in the early days of email, my parents decided to get with the 20th (at that time) century and invite the World Wide Web into our home. I was away at college at this time (man, I feel ancient) and hadn't really gotten much into the whole "Internet/email thing," though I did have an email address at school (that I rarely used).

So I'm sitting in the basement on a vacation from school, listening to my brothers argue about setting up their "user names," and laughing at Nick's attempts to find one that hadn't already been taken by some little punk. Nick's quite into video games, you see, and every "Street Fighter" name he tried had already been taken.

After about 15 minutes or so of this, I said "I bet I can come up with one that hasn't been used." So I waltzed over to the keyboard and typed in "Scroogey" and voila! Instant success!

Ok, so that still doesn't exactly explain where I came up with the name. Here you have it - I've always been a bit of a fan (not "fanatical," but interested nonetheless) of Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge comics. Not only do I identify with the curmudgeonly (yet softhearted underneath that crusty exterior) tightwad, but my middle-school Social Studies teacher's husband, Don Rosa, is rather a famous cartoonist (especially in the Scandinavian countries) of Uncle Scrooge Comics. Partly to annoy my brothers, and partly just to "be cute," I'd taken to calling my beloved duck-friend "Unca Scroogey".

So there you have it. More info than you ever wanted to know, I'm sure.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment