Monday, August 31, 2009

Act One - continued (The Move)

[Post written June 6, 2007]

Well, all my stuff's out of my apartment. What should have taken an afternoon took ALL FREAKING DAY... I ran out of boxes quite early on, because 90% of what I own is breakable and needed to be carefully wrapped. That was really what put me back (well, that and the fact that my parents decided to host a party for about 30 people the day before, so we were preparing food and cleaning *their* house all day instead of getting things ready at my place). We'd already moved 4 or 5 pick-ups full of candle stuff prior to "the big day," so we still had furniture and the rest of what I'd accumulated over 8 years of living in "my own space" left to move. I packed - mom and dad loaded up the truck and unloaded it at the house - and so it went... from 8am until midnight. We didn't even stop for dinner (mom and dad brought lunch after the first or second trip, so we did eat *something*). By about 5pm we were all dead on our feet... but thankfully Nick got off work then and could help with the heavy lifting. By about 8pm I no longer cared how carefully things were packed, nor, in fact, "where" they were packed... I started vacuuming floors and scrubbing surfaces in every room around 9 or 10...

Anyway, so my beautiful apartment is no longer mine, and all my stuff is in every room of a tiny, unfinished, run-down little house. It's more than a little depressing. And since no room (at my place) is done, I'm sleeping in the (very cold at night) sunroom at mom and dad's.

On the bright side - we closed up the holes in the floors on Sunday (yay)... jacked up the sagging section of floor across the middle of the kitchen, so the floor's now level (double yay)... and started screwing in the cement board subfloor (that goes under the gorgeous new slate tiles I just ordered. :-D). We should get the rest of the cement board down in the kitchen today, and (keep your fingers crossed) will get the drywall put in so the cabinet guys can (finally) install my new kitchen cabinets tomorrow or Friday.

Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment