Wednesday, July 3, 2013
Time, Flies, and other random thoughts
Wow, I can't believe it's been over a year since I last posted on here. I guess since the house renovations have largely been stalled for the past couple of years, I haven't taken the time to make new comments.
So, what have I been up to, you ask?
I guess the most interesting thing happened earlier this spring, when I took my friend Stephanie to Italy to fulfill a lifelong ambition. We started in Florence and worked our way down to Rome over 10 days of food, wine, and photography. Oh, and lots of walking. I am now completely broke, but am saving my pennies once again for another trip. Among the highlights - seeing Michelangelo's "David" and the fountain of Neptune in Florence - wandering the streets and churches of San Gimignano and Assisi - touring the Vatican museums and taking an illicit photo of the Sistine Chapel ceiling - and standing, mesmerized, in front of Bernini's "Ecstasy of St. Teresa" at Santa Maria della Vittoria in Rome. I came home with well over 1200 photos of priceless artwork, ancient ruins, and architectural wonders. Not to mention an enhanced appreciation for fresh Italian vegetables, pasta, and red wine.
I guess I don't really have anything insightful to add about Flies, except that they feature prominently in my selection for my Entomology Print Index at work, and I need to get on that after the holiday...
Happy Independence Day, all. I'll be waving my Stars & Stripes and eating my apple pie and watching fireworks with hundreds of my closest friends this 4th. And reflecting on the sacrifices of so very many men and women who gave everything that we might have this right.
'Til next time -
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment