Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas Letter 2009

Well, since I haven't (still) sent my Christmas letter out, I thought it might not be a bad idea to at least post what I wrote in November...  I'm going to try to get some cards sent this month...




Dearest family and friends –                                  November 2009


Happy holidays!  Thanksgiving is next week, so I am thinking about roasting the bird and all the other fun stuff that goes with this time of year.  Maybe Nick and I will actually put the Christmas tree up.  Hmmm…

2009 has been a great year!  Not as much is finished on the house as I would like, but that’s 99.9% my fault.  I’m just involved in too many things.  Nick’s been a great help, and his rooms (the upstairs “game” room as well as his bedroom) are easily the most “finished” rooms of the house.  He finished painting his upstairs walls just a couple weeks ago, and they look amazing.


Among the fun events of 2009 – we all went to see “Wicked” at the Kentucky Center (I also saw “Chicago” there last month – both fantastic shows!), and Nick and I saw a number of excellent movies (“Watchmen,” “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” and “Star Trek” were highlights), and we’ve hosted a number of “Rock Band” parties at our home.  I finally decided that I didn’t care if the house has exposed drywall and power tools all over the place.  Life’s too short to avoid having parties!


I’ve also continued with my PartyLite candle business and work at ProQuest is pretty much the same as ever.  Thankfully, the nation’s economic crisis has mostly just meant “not as many people are having candle parties,” but no other major difficulties.  I feel incredibly blessed.



Early this summer I spent two weeks in the North Carolina mountains as a Small Group Leader for the first two weeks of the Montreat Youth Conferences.  I mentored a group of more than 30 high school kids each week.  It was crazy and stressful and wonderful all at the same time.  I met some fantastic folks and made some great new friends.  We also made it back to Montreat again in October for our annual “Church Youth Group reunion.  I do love that place.


I continue to sing with the Louisville Bach Society.  This year I even had the privilege of singing a couple small solos with the group (which is quite an honor – we often hire professional soloists from around the world for our concerts).  Granted, my first “solo” was 1 line, and was performed from the choir loft *behind* the audience, so no one could actually SEE me… but it was still very well-received.  :)  The assistant conductor, Mark Walker, seems to especially like my voice, and he has requested my presence at a number of “extra-Bach-Society” events – one of which I was paid (rather handsomely) for… so I’m making my way up in the world!



Back to the house – we did finish *most* of the kitchen this year.  It’s completely functional now, anyway.  I was able to use my kitchen sink for the first time since purchasing the house by my birthday this year.  It was a great “present”!  Mom and Dad have both put in lots of hours helping get things going, and I’m very thankful to have such wonderful parents.  I still haven’t gotten around to finishing the backsplash, nor the counters on the “stove side,” but when the weather’s nicer again it won’t take long to finish.


Nick started painting the living room the other day (it looks amazing – a gorgeous rich shade of red), and I hope to have my china cabinet set up by Christmas (and therefore, the center of the living room cleared out and “finished”).  Things are definitely coming along.  Lots, lots, LOTS more still to do, but at least the MAJOR repair/renovation tasks are pretty much behind us.



I had to stop taking belly dance classes after our recital in February ‘cause of scheduling conflicts, and my beloved yoga studio closed at the end of July due to the continuing education of the instructor, but Nick got me a “WiiFit” and the “EA Active Sports Personal Trainer” (the latter for my birthday), so I’m still having fun trying to stay in shape.  And last month I realized the conflicts were resolved, so I’m back into the belly dancing again!  I’m TERRIBLE, but it’s so much fun.  :)  I just love the cute costumes and accessories.  


Well, that’s pretty much “my year.” 

A friend of mine started November by challenging her friends to think of something new to be thankful for each day this month.  Supposedly the task is not an easy one… but so far I have no trouble coming up with new items.  God has blessed me abundantly, and I *am* thankful for everything I have, that I’m able to give, and for all the people in my life.  That includes each and every one of you! 

Until next time, you can find me on Facebook (www.facebook.com/scroogey), or my Web site (www.partylite.biz/CandleQueenRuth), or you can follow the latest updates on my house (or “whatever I feel like cooking, or writing about”) at my Blog (http://scroogeymuses.blogspot.com).  As you probably know, I work on a computer 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, so it’s very, very easy to find me online.

Blessings and peace to you and yours this holiday season, and for the coming year.

Much love - Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment