It's a lot to take in.
I even called my grandparents today (something I do entirely too infrequently, as evidenced by the long pause and obvious "searching the memory banks of 'who is this again?'" when I said "Hi Grandpa - it's Ruth"). Neither Grandpa Bob (with whom I was able to speak) nor Grandpa Delbert (with whom I was not) are in the best of health - so I may not get too many more opportunities to let them know how much I love them and appreciate everything they've done - not only for our family, but also for their country.
Words fail me - but I'll include a few pictures (taken last summer in DC, and this summer @ a friend's officer commissioning ceremony).
I found this quote on another site, and even though it specifically references those who've already given their lives, I just really appreciated the sentiment.
“They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old. Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them. We will remember them.”



No comments:
Post a Comment